After quite a while resting on my more or less laurels (past listings) it's time to get a move on and put up some more listings. My goal is five books every day from now on. This should be achievable, but not according to my past performance.
These books get listed in three places: on Amazon, Biblio, and Half. Books without ISBNs (older books) generally will not be listed on half. My prices might vary between these three places. Amazon and Half tell me competing prices, so I peg mine on them. Thus, if the lowest price for Deadly Percheron is $98 on Amazon, I might peg mine at $95. If it weren't my only copy maybe I'd be more reasonable. In fact, I think my Biblio listing is more reasonable.
Going forward (and possibly backward), links to titles of books will send you to the main Amazon listing. My listing will be somewhere amidst the other maybe 237 listings. This is where my photo of the book can be seen, which will probably be a better one than the one Amazon features. Half doesn't let me attach my own photo—at least I don't think it does. Photos are also at biblio. Lots of older listings still don't have photos. Nor updated prices.
I've been lousy at selling direct via email. Sorry about that, if you've tried me. Listing through the major portals keeps me honest—also prompt and reliable.
Saturday, May 3, 2003
---Finally getting around to cataloguing the batch of Random House books sitting around here for an atrociously long time:
Adams, Douglas THE SALMON OF DOUBT: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time, Harmony, 7th, (chapters culled from novel-in-progress, other writings), new in dj 24.00
Brin, David & Kevin Lenagh CONTACTING ALIENS: An Illustrated Guide to David Brin's Uplift Universe, Spectra, 7/02, 1st, (essential companion), new 14.95
Burroughs, Edgar Rice THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT, Modern Library '02, 1st thus, (Aldiss intro; with Reading Group Guide questions), new 12.95
de Bernières, Louis CORELLI'S MANDOLIN, Vintage International, 5th, new 14.00
Dick, Philip K.DR. BLOODMONEY, Vintage, 5/02, (post-nuclear holocaust), new 13.00
Lessig, Lawrence THE FUTURE OF IDEAS: The Fate of the Commons In a Connected World, Vintage, 2nd, (technology/law; with a 2002 preface), new 15.00
Lovecraft, H.P.MORE ANNOTATED LOVECRAFT, Dell, 2nd, (Joshi & Cannon [eds]), new 13.95
Robinson, Kim Stanley THE YEARS OF RICE AND SALT, Bantam, 6th, (alternate history), new in dj 25.95
Starr, Jason HARD FEELINGS, Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 1/02, 1st, new 12.00
Sterling, Bruce TOMORROW NOW: Envisioning the Next Fifty Years, Random House '03, 1st edn, (what to expect next in culture, geopolitics, and business), new in dj 24.95
Vachss, Andrew THE GETAWAY MAN, Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 2nd, new 11.00
---ONLY CHILD, Knopf '02, 1st edn, (a Burke novel), new in dj 24.00
---And these back in stock:
Bear, Greg VITALS, Del Rey, 1/02, 1st edn, (biotech-murder continuum), new in dj 24.95
Blease, Kathleen (ed) ONE DARK NIGHT: 13 Masterpieces of the Macabre, Ballantine, 9/00, 1st edn, (full of gothic mood and ghastly haunts), new 10.00
Highsmith, Patricia THE BOY WHO FOLLOWED RIPLEY, Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 10th, (psychologicially intricate & hauntingly perverse masterwork), new $12
Jones, Stephen (ed) SHADOWS OVER INNSMOUTH, Del Rey, 9/01, (Lovecraft, others), new 14.00
Niven, Larry THREE BOOKS OF KNOWN SPACE, Del Rey, 7th, (3-in-1 edn), new 15.95
Stephenson, Neal THE DIAMOND AGE, Spectra, 5th, new 13.95
Vachss, Andrew BORN BAD: Stories, Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 2nd, new 13.00
---SACRIFICE, Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 7th, (P.I. Burke), new 12.00
---SHELLA, Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 10th, (Burke; boiled to hte bone), new 12.00
---STREGA, Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 8th, (Burke), new 12.00
Wagner, Phyllis Cerf & Herbert A. Wise (eds) GREAT TALES OF TERROR & THE SUPERNATURAL, Modern Library, 6th, (orig: '44; 1034 pp), new in dj 24.95
---I don’t know if I will go to the trouble of setting up links to the descriptions of these books individually, but here are some publisher links to possibly follow: Random House, Bantam Dell, Del Rey, Knopf, Modern Library, or Vintage.
---A new one from PS Publishing :
Roberts, Adam JUPITER MAGNIFIED, PS, 3/03, (Lovegrove intro; 104 pp), new $16
---By the way, when I recently added a couple out of stock items to my order for upcoming PS releases, I received word that THE TAIN is sold out.
---Sent an order out to White Wolf, for things that had built up in my order file, mostly special orders and restocks. If I need to order from them again soon (as often proves to be the case, even though this order has been building up for literally years), I will pore over their more recent releases and whatnot to find out what I maybe should be getting. In the meantime, it looks like these guys are still in business, probably mostly with the game-related merchandise. I did not look to find out, not wanting to beef up my order any more than it is already. Although now that I think about it I should have at least checked to see if maybe they ever came out with more in their Harlan Ellison series. I know I am ordering some Moorcock and ROAD TO SCIENCE FICTION books but for all I am aware these may be long gone.
---CDs played (all week):
- Blue Oyster Cult AGENTS OF FORTUNE (LP, side two) (Xgau: B plus) - as good as I remember it (one of my favorites back in the day)
- LFTR-PLLR SOFT ROCK (2-CD) (Xgau: A Minus)
- King Sunny Ade THE BEST OF THE CLASSIC YEARS (Xgau: A Plus)
- Bach PASSIO SECUNDUM JOHANNEM (2 CD)
- Fela Anikulapo Kuti ROFOROFO FIGHT/THE FELA SINGLES (Xgau: ?)
- CITY HIGH (Xgau: A Minus)
- THE ROUGH GUIDE TO INDONESIA (Xgau: A Minus)
- Peter Tosh SCROLLS OF THE PROPHET: The Best of… (Xgau: A Minus)
- ► 2014 (14)
- ► 2009 (20)
- ► 2008 (65)
- ► 2007 (144)
- ► 2006 (156)
- ► 2005 (197)
- ► 2004 (301)
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/22/03 THU): ---Letter from me...
- 5/21/03 WED: ---Another rat-race wild-goose chase...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/20/03 TUES): ---Lately I have...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/19/03 MON): ---Need to get or...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/18/03 SUNDAY): ---Email sent ...
- ---I pasted the list of Contributions to the Study...
- 5/17/03 SAT: ---Got back from Illinois with Neil....
- 5/16/03 FRI: ---Went to Champaign-Urbana to pick ...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/15/03 THU): ---Catalogued tod...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/14/03 WED): ---I can’t find a...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/13/03 TUES): ---Text to follo...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/12/03 MON): ---Terribly diffi...
- 5/11/03 Sun: ---Mother’s Day
- 5/10/03 Sat: ---Threatening weather played a part...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/9/03 FRI): ---Bigtime downpou...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/8/03 THU): ---I don’t know ho...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/7/03 WED): ---A couple more a...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/6/03 Tues): ---These catalogu...
- 5/5/03 MON: ---Text to follow?
- 5/4/03 SUN: ---Text to follow?
- 5/3/03 SAT: ---Text to follow?
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/2/03 Fri): ---Finally getting...
- 5/1/03 THU: ---Text to follow?
- 4/30/03 WED: ---Text to follow?
- ▼ May (24)