After quite a while resting on my more or less laurels (past listings) it's time to get a move on and put up some more listings. My goal is five books every day from now on. This should be achievable, but not according to my past performance.
These books get listed in three places: on Amazon, Biblio, and Half. Books without ISBNs (older books) generally will not be listed on half. My prices might vary between these three places. Amazon and Half tell me competing prices, so I peg mine on them. Thus, if the lowest price for Deadly Percheron is $98 on Amazon, I might peg mine at $95. If it weren't my only copy maybe I'd be more reasonable. In fact, I think my Biblio listing is more reasonable.
Going forward (and possibly backward), links to titles of books will send you to the main Amazon listing. My listing will be somewhere amidst the other maybe 237 listings. This is where my photo of the book can be seen, which will probably be a better one than the one Amazon features. Half doesn't let me attach my own photo—at least I don't think it does. Photos are also at biblio. Lots of older listings still don't have photos. Nor updated prices.
I've been lousy at selling direct via email. Sorry about that, if you've tried me. Listing through the major portals keeps me honest—also prompt and reliable.
Wednesday, May 7, 2003
---These catalogued today:
Howard, Elizabeth Jane THREE MILES UP and Other Strange Stories, Tartarus '03, 1st thus, (four stories collected here for the first time), new in dj 40.00
Willis, Connie ROSWELL, VEGAS, AND AREA 51: Travels With Courtney, Wormhole Contemporary Chapbook Vol 8 ('02), 1st edn, one of 1052 total SIGNED copies, new 13.00
---another copy of the preceding, one of 250 hardback copies, new no dj issued $35
---Thunderstorms the past several days. Yesterday was okay, as is today, but I still managed to fritter away the time. Lots of times I may have otherwise had the computer on but the thunder and lightning were too close for comfort. We have had maybe 10 inches of rain (by my unofficial compilation) in the past week-and-a-half. So far no problems with our house, unlike some unfortunates in states to the south, in the path of the twister-swath. That kind of thing usually starts out somewhat to our south then works its way up here as the season progresses, so I look forward to a few tenterhook days coming up. That is the way it is this time of year in this part of the country. I don’t think I will ever get used to it!
---I think I quoted an outlandish figure earlier on empty boxes for the Manly Wade Wellman SELECTED STORIES set from Night Shade. I thought what I wrote down from my earlier conversation with Night Shade that maybe I heard wrong or wrote it down wrong. Now It looks like they will cost me about $25+ including shipping. I will pass them along at cost with your next book order, if you have one pending or one you would like to send (email at Cdrummbks@aol.com). Let me know ASAP if you want one.
---Here is the email from Night Shade that I received:
If you're reading this, then you expressed interest in ordering slipcases
for our Wellman series. Here's the details.
The slipcase will hold all five volumes, and will look nice. However,
there's a catch. The source for the slipcases is expensive, and I don't
have a lot of other options. The slipcases will run $22 apiece, plus
shipping. The original estimate was around $10-$11 a pop, but I guess not.
I'm open to options, if anyone knows any.
The upside is that only subscribers and dealers will get slipcases, so you
guys will be the only source for slipcases.
If you're still interested, I need a final order by the end of the week,
so I can get the order in and get it started.
Night Shade Books”
---I suppose five $35 books could afford to take on a $25 slipcase. Let me know if you want me to try to put together a set of the books too.
---My reply to a person who wants to help me out by selling books on eBay for me:
“Sorry I haven't replied about your eBay thoughts. I haven't had a chance to look into that. I will consult with my son (or try to--he stays up until 5AM, just about when I arise) when he gets back from college in a couple weeks. He does a bit of business with eBay (as a customer as far as I know), but he could maybe give me some insight into how I should proceed. I know there is a much larger customer base out there than what I am presently tapped into, and I do appreciate your thinking about how I can make improvements in this area.”
- THE COMPLETE STAX/VOLT SOUL SINGLES Volume 2: 1968-1971 (Disc 6)
- Ali Hussan Kuban THE ROUGH GUIDE TO… (Xgau: A Minus)
- Ken Burns Jazz’ THE DEFINITIVE THELONIOUS MONK (Xgau: A Plus)
- Ken Burns Jazz’ THE DEFINITIVE HERBIE HANCOCK
- Love FOREVER CHANGES (Xgau: A Minus)
- ► 2014 (14)
- ► 2009 (20)
- ► 2008 (65)
- ► 2007 (144)
- ► 2006 (156)
- ► 2005 (197)
- ► 2004 (301)
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/22/03 THU): ---Letter from me...
- 5/21/03 WED: ---Another rat-race wild-goose chase...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/20/03 TUES): ---Lately I have...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/19/03 MON): ---Need to get or...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/18/03 SUNDAY): ---Email sent ...
- ---I pasted the list of Contributions to the Study...
- 5/17/03 SAT: ---Got back from Illinois with Neil....
- 5/16/03 FRI: ---Went to Champaign-Urbana to pick ...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/15/03 THU): ---Catalogued tod...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/14/03 WED): ---I can’t find a...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/13/03 TUES): ---Text to follo...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/12/03 MON): ---Terribly diffi...
- 5/11/03 Sun: ---Mother’s Day
- 5/10/03 Sat: ---Threatening weather played a part...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/9/03 FRI): ---Bigtime downpou...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/8/03 THU): ---I don’t know ho...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/7/03 WED): ---A couple more a...
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/6/03 Tues): ---These catalogu...
- 5/5/03 MON: ---Text to follow?
- 5/4/03 SUN: ---Text to follow?
- 5/3/03 SAT: ---Text to follow?
- BOOKCELLAR NOTES (5/2/03 Fri): ---Finally getting...
- 5/1/03 THU: ---Text to follow?
- 4/30/03 WED: ---Text to follow?
- ▼ May (24)